Statewide Legal help and other resources

Eviction Help Illinois

Eviction Help Illinois provides free legal help for Illinois residents who are renters facing potential eviction or landlords not represented by a lawyer. 

Illinois Homeowners Assistance Fund (ILHAF)

ILHAF  has extended its Mortgage Assistance Program until January 31, 2023, at 11:59 PM. See this article for an overview of the program and eligibility information. Flyers in English and Spanish are available below:

IL Court-Based Rental Assistance Program (outside Cook County)

The Illinois Court-Based Rental Assistance Program (CBRAP) provides funding to Illinois tenants and landlords across the state (outside of Cook County) who have pending cases in eviction court. The program is only available to litigants in eviction court. Applicants may qualify for up to $25,000 in emergency rental payments that can include up to 15 months of past-due rent and 3 months of future rent payments to prevent eviction.

For Court-Based Rental Assistance in Cook County, contact CCLAHD (see below). 

Cook County Legal Aid for Housing and Debt (CCLAHD)

Cook County residents and property owners can call the CCLAHD hotline at 855-956-5763 to learn how they can get help resolving their housing and debt problems. All services are available at no cost regardless of income, language, or immigration status. The hotline is open Monday-Friday from 9:00-4:30.

Self-Help Resources and Referrals

A list of common self-help resources and legal referrals, provided by the IL Supreme Court Commission.

Illinois Court Help

Illinois Court Help connects people without lawyers to the information they need to go to court. It’s a free service from the Illinois Courts. People can call or text (833) 411-1121 for help. It's open Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Help is available in English and Spanish.

New Leaf IL

New Leaf Illinois helps individuals seeking to expunge cannabis convictions from their records. 

The process starts when someone fills out the form online or calls (855) 963-9532. Then, a legal aid professional will evaluate their eligibility and get in touch with them about potential next steps. 


The Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network (IL-AFLAN) provides legal help for armed forces and their families in Illinois. Veterans, service members, national guard members, reservists, spouses, or dependents in need of civil legal aid can call 855-452-3526 to speak to an attorney for free. 

IL Free Legal Answers

People with a civil legal question can sign up on the IL Free Legal Answers website - if they qualify (they must meet income eligibility requirements) they will be able to submit a question via a secure online portal. If a volunteer lawyer is available to answer their question, the lawyer will post an answer via the portal, and the person will receive an email notification to log into the portal and retrieve the answer (similar to how you might communicate with your bank). IL Free Legal Answers now answers questions about civil appeals.

Catholic Charities Help Line

Catholic Charities has a telephone advice line that assists clients throughout Illinois who are representing themselves by advising them of their rights and responsibilities as well as how to navigate the legal process when necessary. They will provide brief advice for a wide variety of legal issues. The advice line number is (312) 948-6821.


Upsolve is a free online tool to help people file for bankruptcy. Use Upsolve’s education, tools, and online community to overcome their debt, access their rights, and rebuild their financial situation.


COVID HELP is a chatbot that provides legal information on the most common legal concerns caused by the pandemic (consumer, employment, unemployment, housing, and probate issues). People using COVID HELP can learn more about legal solutions to their problems, be directed to relevant and accurate legal information and online resources, and be connected to legal aid organizations in their geographic area. Keep in mind that the bot often refers people to

IL Lawyer Finder (ISBA referral service)

Use Illinois Lawyer Finder to search for a private attorney the person will have to pay. Lawyers listed on the IL State Bar Association referral service must meet certain eligibility requirements. For example, they must be a member in good standing before the Bar of Illinois and must not be the subject of a pending formal complaint before the Illinois Supreme Court's Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission. The lawyers must also carry malpractice insurance.

In some areas, mainly Cook and the collar counties, JEP (here is a list of the JEP attorneys and the counties they serve) may be an option (low cost attorneys) - these referrals will also be made through GLH.